Thursday, March 29, 2012

Kale

I'm not sure if I've ever had Kale before. Probably as a kid because we gardened a lot, but I don't believe I've ever cooked it myself. So, last week I bought a bunch of Kale because I've got a pesto recipe in mind: not the recipe I'm about to share with you, but another recipe that I am still going to try with my leftover Kale!

This morning, I had some basil that was on the verge of going 'off', so I decided I was going to whip up some pesto with it. Turned out too watery, so I added a few Kale leaves to it. WHO KNEW!!! The amazingness that the Kale brought to the pesto was super!

I think what awed me the most, was the color. I've never made such a beautiful green pesto before, and it held its color through temperature too!

Here's what I did:

1 small bunch of basil
3/4c pine nuts + 2 T for toasting
1/2 olive oil
1/2c water
1 good size piece of fresh garlic
about 6 kale leaves
dash of pepper
salt to taste

This is a super mild pesto, so you don't want the garlic overwhelming the sweetness of the Kale or the kick of the basil and pinenuts. I also overdid it on the olive oil a bit - I probably used a cup. If the mix is too thick, just add a dash of olive oil to wet it up a bit.

Cook your favorite noodles, toast the leftover pine nuts. Drain noodles and put the pesto over them immediately. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. (I wanted fresh Parmesan cheese for this, but in all honesty, it is delicious enough without it).

Check out that color! 



 I was very impressed with this dish and it is definitely going to be a new family favorite! 

No comments:

Post a Comment