Saturday, March 31, 2012

Breakfast smoothie?

So today, I wanted to fry something up for breakfast. Here I am, trying to cut back on coffee and eat healthier, and I'm craving something crunchy and greasy. So I sautee'd up 2 corn tortillas with a little spray olive oil and salt. I shared those with Katie, then figured I really should figure out something healthy.

I had some fresh kale in the fridge from the other day, so I figured I'd try one of those kale smoothies I've been reading about. Here's what I came up with, whilst cleaning out the fridge:

5 kale leaves
1 apple (I actually used about 3/4 of a small fuji)
1/4c rolled oats
1 small mango (pitted & peeled)
3/4c soymilk (I use 8th Continent plain)

At a glance it looks like an apple - LOL! I have got to get a show-quality glass for these pics haha :) 


I threw it all in the VitaMix and it made a perfect sized meal for me and I even shared it with Katie. I thought it could use a little crunch, so I paired it with a handful of sesame sticks.

Still the vibrant color that I have found kale to be so good for producing, and it does not look yummy per se, but it sure was delicious! The oatmeal makes a good filler and adds some texture, and the fruit and kale, being fresh and not cooked or processed made for a healthy breakfast!

Here I am, 3 hours later, and I'm still not hungry. Granted, I'm craving some processed food but that's because I am a junk food junkie, but I'm working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment