Monday, January 16, 2012

Welcome

Today, I took Katie to church. I went to a church that I frequent from time to time, and have always felt welcome. Walking into the sanctuary (or 'auditorium' as they call it) with Katie in tow, a lady tapped me on my shoulder and strongly suggested I take Katie to the nursery. I told her no thanks. She insisted that Katie shouldn't be in there during the service and I should take her to the nursery. Again, I politely declined. AGAIN she did it. I (not so politely) insisted I'm keeping her with me.

After this little back and forth, she proceeds to tell me how someone did that to her when her child was a young mother, and she never went back to that church. Now, WHY would she do it to me if she knew exactly how it made me feel (having had it done to her before)? She told me "well, I'm the pastor's wife and I just don't want him getting distracted".

I was bummed. I really did like that church and now I can't sit comfortably and listen to the service because if Katie makes a peep I feel like that lady's gonna shoot daggers at me. Granted, I will eventually take Katie to the nursery but I was enjoying her cuddles as she napped <3

1 comment:

  1. That sucks! I like being with my kids too in church. Our church doesn't flat out say "no babies in the main sanctuary" but I know that they're recording both audio and visual and a crying baby would be distracting. But whatever. That's the sounds of life. Same amount of noise as someone coughing or sneezing. Besides, how else is your child going to learn how to behave in church if she's sitting in the nursery and playing with other kids all the time. I tend to go to the Mother's Room out of respect for everyone else but goodness, don't point me in that direction as soon as I arrive. I'd like to worship the same as everyone else.

    You're very inspiring to follow through on your New Year's resolutions! :) Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete